Together with Paul, we animated the monster in Maya. We divided the several scenes. Afterwards we decided the positions of the monster and had to estimate how long each animation should be according to the recording footages we have.
We used the standard of 24 frames/sec as a measurement to set the speed.
After pitching the playblasts with our teammates, we got to the rendering.
We used the Arnold rendering system that is integrated in Maya 2017.
To get a realistic result, we needed to keep in mind:
- Light direction
For this, we used an image plane of the footage as a reference. Lighting was done in a 3 point lighting setup with an additional Arnold light dome that contained a picture of the footage. This light dome creates a realistic reflection on the surface of the animated monster.
For the rendering we removed the background and placed a solid green to key out in After Effects in a later stage.